Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hello Dolly

One of my favorite musicals of all time Hello Dolly with Barbra Streisand.

Eric and our good friend Mary Ann Long
took me to see Hello Dolly live at the
Casa Manana theatre in Ft. Worth, Texas in 1994.

Ruta Lee, in her most beloved role, Dolly Levi,
also known as The First Lady of Fort Worth.
I got her autograph and got to meet her in person.

Eric, myself and Mary Ann taken in June 1994.



Hello Dolly bars in our cookbook.


In 1970 when I was 6 years old my parents took me to see a movie that made a deep impact on my life. One of Barbra Streisand's most beloved performances as the indomitable Dolly Levi in the hugely popular musical that received a Best Picture Academy Award, "Hello Dolly". It's set in turn-of-the-century, New York, and one of the quotes that I love from that movie is "Money is like manure. It should be spread around encouraging little things to grow." When Dolly descends the grand staircase at the Harmonia Gardens singing the inspiring song "Hello Dolly" with the famous Louis Armstrong I knew I wanted to be just like her. Little did I know at the age of six that my future would have a set of stairs in my very own tearoom.
Recipe for Hello Dolly Bars
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
1 cup vanilla wafer crumbs
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts
1 can sweetened condensed milk
In shallow 9x13 pan, melt butter and sprinkle evenly over the butter, vanilla crumbs, chocolate pieces, coconut and nuts. Pour sweetened condensed milk over the layers. Do not stir. Bake 30 minutes in 350 degree preheated oven. Cool slightly. Cut into squares.

Isaiah 49:5 "And now, saith the Lord, that formed me from the womb to be His servant."
"This realization of the call of God is the most joyful realization on earth, and we have to learn to rely on the tremendous creative purpose of God. We have to maintain our soul open to the fact of God's creative purpose, and not muddle it with our own intentions. Beware lest you forget God's purpose for your life." - Oswald Chambers My Utmost For His Hightest

No comments: